ABCwatch

Tim Blair

Ombudsgod

New Criterion

 

 

Thursday, October 14, 2004
 
Jonathan V Last calls the last boring debate 13:5 for Bush, but doesn't quite believe his own score.
To be honest, I was surprised by this tally since the debate felt pretty even while it was in progress. Watching the return of the president's smirk, I would never have guessed that this last debate was rout. So what happened? Bush did a good job of coming back to Kerry's record, and, in what may be the biggest development of the last couple weeks, he finally put the senator's vote against Desert Storm on the table.
I'd rather watch a re-run of the Simpsons, unless Bush agreed to ask PJ O'Rourke's questions.
(1) My opponent, Massachusetts senator John Kerry--or, as I like to think of him, Teddy Kennedy with a designated driver . . .

(7) You say that we won the war, but we're losing the peace because Iraq is so unstable. When Iraq was stable, it attacked Israel in the 1967 and 1973 wars. It attacked Iran. It attacked Kuwait. It gassed the Kurds. It butchered the Shiites. It fostered terrorism in the Middle East. Who wants a stable Iraq?

(10) You say I didn't have a plan for the post-war problem of Iraq? I say we blew the place to bits--what's the problem?
Thirteen more equally apposite questions here.